The applied research scientists in our Fire Safety team work with industry partners to develop and implement practical solutions to a range of fire safety issues, from designing robust tests for innovative fire detection systems to preventing false alarms.
For more information about our expertise in fire safety research
Call us on 0333 321 88 11 if you would like to know more about our expertise or need help with a specific issue – or email email@example.com.
With the necessary financial and in-kind contributions agreed at the outset, the team collaborates with stakeholder groups on projects – that often attract funding support from the BRE Trust – proposed by the industry or initiated by BRE. The combination of our independent, technical expertise and industry involvement, gives this work the added credibility that promotes wider acceptance and support.
Leading facilities and expertise
The Fire Safety team conducts research in BRE’s outstanding UKAS accredited laboratories (and at client facilities when appropriate), and has access to BRE’s world-leading built environment expertise in areas that include fire safety engineering, building technology and social science.
Widely presented findings
The findings from the work are regularly presented to stakeholder group members for input and agreement throughout the programme, at the end of which they receive a comprehensive technical report on the findings and proposed next steps.
As a key aim of this research work is to make new knowledge widely accessible, in addition to the technical reports, freely available briefing papers are produced to summarise the main findings and recommendations for industry professionals. Short videos are also produced when the topic is of interest to non-technical people, summarising the findings and explaining the project. These have been very effective in delivering research findings to a much wider audience and are often played at conferences and exhibitions, and promoted on social media.
The impacts of the research completed by the Fire Safety team and industry partners so far include:
- being used to revise existing codes of practice e.g. BS 5839-1 or develop new ones, e.g. LPCB COP0001,
- supporting the development of product test standards,
- being adopted and integrated into processes used by fire and rescue services,
- leading to more research that has generated further knowledge,
- supporting the development of new product testing and certification services at BRE,
- providing guidance to building owners, manager and responsible persons,
- informing product manufacturers on how to improve their products.